A few more days and we’ll celebrate Thanksgiving! Do we take a break from exercise? Do we stuff ourselves like we stuff the bird? What do we do to avoid gaining back the weight that we lost and perhaps piling on some more?! A lot of us are looking for tips for a healthier Thanksgiving. Well, I’ve done some research and come up with the following.
Tips for a Healthier Thanksgiving
- Plan ahead – whether you’re traveling or hosting, you should plan ahead.
- Eat breakfast – Start your day with a small but nutritious meal so you won’t be starving when it’s turkey time.
- Lighten up – Whether you’re hosting or bringing a dish to share, look up delicious and healthy recipes, such as here or here.
- Watch your portions & eat slowly to savor every bite – Resist the temptation to go back for seconds. Stop eating when you’re full.
- Walk around to mingle – Good way to sneak in some steps!
- Go easy on alcohol – Alcohol calories can add up quickly.
- Plan a post-meal walk – Could just be walking around the neighborhood. Or, if weather prohibits, great time to try one of these ten-minute walks (here).
- Volunteer to help clean up – Another good way to burn some calories while catching up with friends or family.
- Suggest a workout date for the next morning – Unless you’re going shopping on Black Friday, then you’ll be walking anyway.
- Drink plenty of water
If you wear an activity tracker, such as Fitbit, you’ll be more aware of how active or inactive you’ve been while on vacation.
I’ve also read about a two-day rule. Don’t ever go more than two days without working out. So, if you plan ahead, you can always squeeze in a ten-minute walk just before bed or right after getting up. If you bring a resistance band, you can even get some toning and strength training in.
You can read more about the two-day rule and other helpful tips here.
Thanks for reading! Let's keep in touch. Just one click to follow me: